…In the event of a FIRE or MEDICAL EMERGENCY, call 9-1-1… “Christmas Safety Tips”: Choose holiday lights with a label from an approved testing laboratory, such as UL, and throw away any frayed or damaged light strands; If you decorate with candles, make sure they are at least three feet away from anything that can burn; Choose the freshest tree you can find. Check to see if the needles stay when you gently pull on a branch…
Smithfield Fire & Rescue in Action
Welcome to the Smithfield Fire Department website. The Smithfield Fire Department thanks the entire Smithfield Community for your continued support. Please follow our Twitter feed to stay informed (@).
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
Facts about home holiday fires
- One of every three home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 31 reported home Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 144 total reported home fires.
- A heat source too close to the tree causes one in every four of Christmas tree fires.
- December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
- One-third of all candle fires start in the bedroom.
Source: National Fire Protection Association